Monday, May 10, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 24

XXIV.

I was slowly pulling the phone away from my ear, putting my forefinger on the top half of my phone like a trigger of a revolver. If it were real, I might have pulled it…for real. But I feel like I’m just finding excuses.

“Wait”

Collen barked at me, awakening me with a sharp echo.

“Here’s Lance, hold on.”

My heart began to race, and it might have been from pure adrenaline the hospital had to offer. But I sensed something else. I run my finger tips over my heart and feel it pulse through. This was real. However, I could only leak out a small okay to continue the conversation.

This might turn good or bad. I was a bird with a wounded wing, keeping my balance with the strong part of what’s left. I have to take one flap at a time, each time leading me to my final destination, but there are countless ways to fall. Once I fall…

As I had started my endless daydream of falling from the sky, I heard a conversation on the other side of the phone line, distant.

“Lance, I have something to tell you.”

“Hey, haven’t talked to you in a while. You’re always with... Aussie, how is she?”

“Uh, about her… she…”

“She what? I… you’ve probably realized but I’m never going to forget her. I might never like anyone else. If it’s something hateful, tell me later.”

My heart leaked of overflowing emotions. Putting my phone on speaker, I set it on the side table and covered my eyes. I tried to shield it from everything, from everything around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment