Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 19

XIX.

“Oh, hi there Aussie”

Samantha tossed her hair in her preppy manner, her eyes screening my every move as I tried to walk around her bulky car.

“Hey Samantha, here to get some ice cream?”

“My girls and I don’t eat ice cream, fat and calories are the last thing I need, dear. We’re here for the tanning salon next door.”

The gaudy groupie nodded in unison, innocent smiles with ugly intentions.

“Look, I’m here with friends, you’re here with yours. Let’s just go our separate ways. Alright?”

“Not alright Aussie Winston. I’ve been meaning to tell you this all along, but your cute, innocent face doesn’t belong with Lance’s.”

Now she’s gone completely insane. Ignoring the last comment, I swerved around and attempted to cut across in front of Samantha’s car. This was a bad idea, and for future reference remember. Insanity + huge BMW? Not good.

The engine turned on quickly, the acceleration pedal was pressed with great strength, and the car sped up towards me. This must be the worst day of my life.

I started to flee in the other direction, slyly moving diagonally to avoid the pathway of the car. However, my legs didn’t work as well as they did in the past years, and with numbing in one leg it was even harder. I looked back; Samantha’s eyes were full of annoyance and some killer-intentions of a vulture.

I could feel myself slowing down, gradually, but enough for some psycho to run over me. With no choice left I jumped sideways, the earth spinning in slow motion as my hand landed on the concrete moments before my body.

“Aww, poor baby”

Samantha cooed through the open car window. She blew fake kisses at me and winked with the pure desire to piss me off. Heat rose within me, I wanted to get up and slap her artificial Barbie doll face. I wanted to run away from this place. I wanted to kick her and her little friends until they were red enough to not get a tan. Tears rose in my eyes, because deep down I knew I couldn’t do any of those things. My leg felt stiffened with plastic or glue and my hand was cut up and bleeding. But more than any of these physical damages, my heart hurt. My chest pounded because of my weakness, my chest pounded because I couldn’t do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment