Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 17

XVII.

Tonight was a teens’ favorite night, Friday night. With Dr. Beaker’s permission, I took my final drive to school, windows down, singing alternative rock like a maniac. I laughed to myself as I drove down the street, wind in my hair, flying through the lanes like a low soaring eagle.

Waving to the usual security guard at the parking lot entrance, I pulled in, parked, and trotted into school. I wasn’t the usual quiet person today, but a woodpecker, fast, speedy, energetic. I practically glided into Collen, who was lavishly leaning against a wall, sweet talking Dr. Minks.

“You know, I don’t see you as just the school nurse Dr. Minks.”

“Aw, you’re so funny Collen! But go to class now!”

Failed and down, he turned to me, basically towering over me and showering words over my head.

“Hey Shorty”

“Yo. You haven’t told Lance yet have you?”

“Tell me what?”

Lance stood behind me, also towering. Lightly wrapping his arms around me, he yanked me closer and enveloped me with a big hug.

“Nothing! A surprise”

Lance smiled mischievously and kissed my forehead.

“It better be good.”

He walked toward the student commons, leaving me and Collen in front of our English class. There was no hesitation, we skipped into class, sat next to each other, and started to fool around like always.

As our teacher read Greek mythology, Collen tossed over a neatly folded piece of paper.

Just don’t stress out about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment