Friday, April 30, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 9

IX.

Much like every other day, my sister had complications with my schedule and could not pick me up. A boy or even a full grown man will take my place in her schedule any day. But since I had trouble walking, my mother had to pick me up and take me straight to Dr. Beaker’s.

Sitting on a hard rock bench in front of the school, I opened my English book to do my homework early. I actually felt like working, doing something and not let my mind wander too far. Delicately turning the pages, I began to read.

The historic…

Just then, water droplets fell on my hand, my head, and my book. I did not realize the sky had turned a light gray, and the clouds had covered the warm sun. But I didn’t enjoy anything more than rain. Each droplet fell and rolled to the surface of the earth, dancing all around me and creating music to my ears.

But it was getting cold. Hair dripping and clinging to my neck, I started to gather my supplies when a black windbreaker fell on top of me.

“You’re going to catch a cold and collapse again.”

Lance smiled and patted my head like a puppy. Such a peaceful moment, but no words came out. I awkwardly sat next to him, arms crossed, looking out into the vast, deserted parking lot.

“I’m guessing your sister’s not coming today.”

“Yep, my mom’s coming from work. There was probably horrible traffic.”

I wasn’t too worried about my mom, she was never on time.

Seconds were heavy, and each blink of an eye was in slow motion. The first movement in the five minutes was Lance. He softly took one of my hands in his, and held it tightly but with care. I’m sure a racing heart beat is bad for cancer patients…

But the next moment was sure to be faster than my racing heart. Lance’s lips lightly brushed against my cheek, the world stood still. His eyes paralyzed me, and he kept looking at me as I stared back at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment