Friday, April 30, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 8

VIII.

“So Winston, you okay?”

With blonde luscious curls, flashing smile, and beaming aura, Lance Nankin caught up with me on my route to the chemistry room.

“I’m fine, it was surprising wasn’t it?”

“Yeah. It was just… like...bam. I’m glad you’re fine though.”

He smiled carelessly, searching for words to continue the conversation. He was always so tough and confident at school, and to know that this side of him was only for me, I laughed.

“What are you laughing at?”

I pushed him lightly on the shoulder, and smacked him with a paperback dictionary.

“You know what I’m laughing at!”

Girls’ eyes filled with jealousy and awe as we walked down hallways. But the bell rang just in time, kids scattered and Lance and I found ourselves running for the classroom.

Laughing and exhausted, we practically threw our supplies on the floor and hurled ourselves onto the lab tables. I was a little wheezy and my legs ached, but I found myself laughing it off and being glared at by my teacher.

The lesson began soon enough. The teacher scribbled equations of letters all over the board and mumbled as he spoke to himself. Today I was paying attention, when Lance tossed over a crumpled piece of notebook paper.

Look butterflies!

You mean those girls staring at you from table B?

Oh… I guess you can count them.

Lance sneered as if to brag.

Go sit with them then!

No! Besides, you’re the one that’s NOT self conscious at ALL. You missed all the boys staring at YOU in the hallway!

I blushed for a split second. I had never thought about boys looking at me, maybe at my sister but not me. I was hesitant to reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment