Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 14

XIV.

For a popular kangaroo, Collen was semi-genius. I knew a cheap BS answer wouldn’t cut it for him.

“You told us you had a cold or something, but you don’t need Advil or a shot.”

“You saw the Advil too?”

“Sure. Besides, that shot had numbing medicine in it too. You’re limping.”

“That’s because I did something weird with my ankle during practice. And Dr. Minks recommended the shot for me.”

Collen walked next to me with a smart-aleck air about him, mysteriously looking down on me for more answers.

“She’s a school nurse, and a pretty clueless one at that. She couldn’t and wouldn’t recommend a shot.”

“Well, how do you know it’s a shot anyway?”

“There’s a puncture mark on your thigh, it was sticking up from your thigh when you let it go, and there was a button to release something stored inside.”

Collen counted on his fingers as his eyes turned from mysterious to anxiety and worry.

“Collen. You’re too damn smart. Steak ‘n’ Shake, on me, after this?”

“If you’re going to tell me, I’m going.”

Practice was over when I got back, so I explained what I had gone to do to the coaches and packed up my belongings. The flock of basketball boys was gone too, leaving a whiff of axe lingering on court 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment