Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 13

XIII.

I found Dr. Minks at her desk in the nurse’s office, jotting down notes and listening to her soft classic.

“What is it dear?”

“Uhm, I need the shot I brought this morning.”

Although it was quite an emergency, Dr. Minks danced across the room to a small white cabinet where all of the students’ personal medications were stored.

“It’s the pain relieving one right?”

“Well it’s sort of like a pain reliever, yes.”

The shot had been given to me yesterday by Dr. Beaker himself. It was much like those penicillin tubes used for allergic people. But instead of penicillin, my tube had a special liquid mixture of pain reliever, temporary numbing medicine, and temporary symptom stopper. I was told to use it after or during exercise, when your leg felt swollen and burning from the inside. Great, more pain.

“Ah, here it is!”

Dr. Minks shifted her glasses on her nose, fixed her low-cut shirt, and read the instructions for me.

Take off the red cap. Make sure the small needle is not rusted, if so, change quickly. Hold tube with both hands and stick in upper thigh. Press the blue button while the needle is still inside the body to release liquid.

“Got it?”

“Uh, I think so, thank you.”

Retrieving the tube, I made myself relatively comfortable in a chair and followed the directions. Once pressing the blue button and releasing the relief into my leg, I felt a sudden surge of loopy-ness. Pretty Dr. Minks threw away the red cap, set a cup of water for me beside the chair, and returned to her work.

And what could be more then bad timing, as I was about to pull the needle out of my punctured thigh, Collen walked in with a big floor burn on his arm. Laughing, he ran in.

“Miss Minks! It’s me again! Say, can you give a poor lad a bandage?”

Hitting on older women again, I sighed. I thought I had smoothly covered up my tube in my thigh, slyly pulling it out when Collen wasn’t looking, but as we walked out of the nurse’s office, he asked.

“Aussie. Tell me the truth, what was that tube?”

No comments:

Post a Comment