Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Bird that Cannot Fly Ch. 29

XXIX.

Lance and Collen had both left for school the next morning, both with swollen eyes and a very runny nose. I had been able to give them a genuine smile as they left, though afterwards, my face wasn’t so pretty. Every afternoon was treatment time. I couldn’t really say I looked forward to it. I didn’t plan on anyone visiting me earlier in the day, so I decided to take up on some reading or homework.

I stretched my aching arms as I opened my old history book I had to catch up on. I turned a few pages to something interesting, opened my mouth to read-aloud when the door opened.

Over the threshold of the door, my dainty sister stood with a bouquet of daisies and a small photo frame. She looked even skinnier than usual, maybe because of the bright light from behind her or the pale yellow cardigan she neatly tied around her shoulders.

“Home from the country club?”

I managed to crack my own joke as my sister entered. I knew she had been crying from the red tips of her eyes and nose, but decided not to touch upon that.

“Idiot! It’s my new style!”

My sister succeeded in seeming happy, still trotting her way over to my bed and kissing me on the cheeks.

“How has my lovely chick been?”

My sister’s words bounced off the walls she faced and back to me, maybe she didn’t want to see me face to face just yet. Her hands were shaking from where I could see, because the vase she held quivered back and forth as she spoke.

“Nothing much my lovely canary, I miss your singing from the shower every morning.”

The canary turned and smiled; I realized her green eyes, much like my mother’s, shown in the pale light through the window.

“Why thank you Austricia. I miss your tired hangover face in the morning too.”

She walked over with a vase full of daisies, and set them on the side table with a picture of our family, mother hummingbird, Kathy canary, me… and dad. Dad looked younger than what I remembered him to look like; I had imagined a hunky turkey-looking dad from five or so years ago, but this picture revealed him as a proud cardinal or something. I decided to just mentally note the picture, turning back to my sister.

“Don’t call me by my full name ever again Katheny. Do you like my new hairstyle?”

“Oh Aussie. I loved your hair; I’m going to miss all of it.”

She lightly brushed her slender fingers through my hair and sucked in the sobs. I giggled. My sister’s hair was beautiful, soft and luscious. Of course I was upset and sad that my hair was going to be gone soon, but I can still see my sister’s hair and see how mine will grow out to be again.

“I have confidence that I’m gonna look great in short hair.”

“I want a sister, not a girlish brother.”

“I still have boobs.”

“No you don’t.”

My sister grabbed my cheeks and kissed my forehead, telepathically sealing up my lips so I couldn’t babble on. Of course, I wriggled my way out of that telepathical bind, continuing conversation with my sister which he hadn’t had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment